Sunday, April 26, 2009

In Mommy's Footsteps




All of my children enjoy taking my little Kodak camera around and shooting a few photos, and they get really excited when I let them hold my "good" camera. But the Elmo brand gets more mileage than anything. I have to admit that I get tired of hearing that little red monster's voice saying, "Smile for Elmo!" when the shutter button is pressed over and over, but I grin obediently and remember that I want them to smile for me when I'm the one on the other side of the lens. It's very precious to watch them following in Mommy's footsteps by noticing details around them and relishing in capturing memories.
My prayer is that they follow in my footsteps in ways that truly matter to their lives. Am I being the kind of mom God has designed me to be? Am I being a gentle guide, leading them through the mountains and valleys of life? Am I loving each one of them as they need to be loved? In their love language? I wrestle with these questions daily. I realize that it's only when I'm following in my Father's footsteps, that I am able to be one they should emulate. I'm reminded of Galatians 5:22: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control..." It all begins at home.
Father, help me to follow in Your footsteps so that my children may follow in mine.


No comments: