Tuesday, February 23, 2010

He'll Protect Us

Boys are designed differently; I'm learning this through experience. I love my boy's gentle, sweet manner and how he doesn't keep me racing... so far. However, one amazing thing I'm beginning to notice is this built-in protectiveness. On our vacation, we experienced a heavy storm so we put a movie on for the kids. In the film, two boys were angrily wrestling in a river over their families' properties. The "villain" boy had his father's shot-gun. Our girls sat wide-eyed and silent and I wondered if I should shelter them from the violence even though this children's movie had a very good lesson. It concerned me that they might be frightened and later have nightmares. But, while I was deciding what to do, Oliver, who was playing nearby, stood up and declared, "I HAVE to go into that movie and I HAVE TO HIT THAT GUY!" Wow! What a surprise. I'd never heard such words come from any of my three older daughters.

A few days later, we were walking across a street and I reminded everyone of the "buddy system" (especially intending for them to make sure the littlest was looked after). My three year-old son, grasped the hands of two of his big sisters and announced, "I have to hold your hands so I can take care of you guys."

Oliver, "Buddy", "Zippy", "Mr. Brown": No one can tell me God didn't create boys to naturally desire to protect. I'm so proud of how you're growing up to be just the little man He made you to be. I'm loving this boy-journey with you.

4 comments:

sgm said...

yes! you are back and I love walking this journey of raising boys together. Yes, these mini men are naturally protective and I hope all the sisters see that in the boys!!!
talk soon!!!!
s

Camille said...

How incredibly precious!! What a little man!! It will not be long and he really will be able to protect you! Just wait and see if I'm not right! :)

Love,
Camille

Pure Perseverance said...

You're so funny! Yes, that was interesting that I was where I was but not where you thought ;o)! Welcome back!

Yay for your son! I see that this wonderful trait is developing early (perhaps not, I just don't have boys).

sydney ellen said...

I love how even little boys have the natural instinct to protect! Very cute.
Glad you're back,
Sydney