Monday, July 5, 2010

Yard Sale For Haiti

My eleven year-old daughter sought information about this country she'd grown to love. She perused heart-breaking photos in books and the Internet and began to compare and contrast her country and lifestyle with her beloved Haitians. New and urgent emotions rose up in her and she investigated ways to help. When we began to talk of having a yard sale, Meghan's first thought was that all the proceeds should go to Haiti. And so, an idea was born, and the stuff to sell started piling up in our garage. Soon the day arrived and Meghan, outfitted with her money box and water cooler, was raring to go. We prayed for God to multiply abundantly and the result was $666!! On Sunday, we dropped the cheque, marked for Haiti, in the offering plate and continue to pray for it multiply even more.
As I watch my daughter grow a heart for people she doesn't know, I wonder what God's will is for her life. It scares me a little to imagine her as a missionary in some far-away country, but I must begin to daily give her to the Father now so that I am able to accept His perfect design for her as she matures. Is it okay to pray for her to remain close to home? The Lord knows what's best and it is exciting to think of where she will go. Whether it be near or far, I pray that she will always listen to His voice.

Thank you to everyone who donated items for our yard sale and thank you to all who added a little extra money to your purchases to help our struggling brothers and sisters.

10 comments:

Craig and Bethany said...

Oh yes, that glimmer of God leading our children is terrifying and awesome.

I am so blessed by your heart, Meghan. Can't wait to see what God's plans are for you!

Mouse and Magoo said...

Love this post Mommy.
Hope ya stay cool this summer! Especially when they have a warning for the three "h"'s!

Love you.
Meghan

Jill said...

Bless her heart....she reminds me a lot of my daughter. She makes her own jewelry and donates part of her earnings to different charities. I think it's so important to teach children the value of giving back to others. Looks like you are doing a great job raising her, I bet you are very proud. Have a great evening!

Anna said...

What a giving heart Meghan has! Sorry we couldn't be there. I'm so glad it went well, and I'm sure those who benifit from the money will be blessed (as well as those who donated and came up with the idea in the first place)!
Anna

Kim Hyland said...

What a sweet, tender heart your daughter has. Good for you for making her heart's desire a reality. I'm sure it would have been easy to be too busy. The seeds of compassion grow strong in the light of a mother's confidence and love.

~ Kim

Tightwad In Training said...

I have chills!!! God can use the money that you daughter raised and keep on multiplying it touching many lives. WoW!!! I am so very proud of your daughter and i know you must be too! :)

Camille said...

Dear Heather ~ How WONDERFUL!! OH I know what you are talking about with the desire to keep them close...oh I *know*!! But, the LORD WILL give the Grace needed for whatever HE calls us and our children to...how precious to rest in THAT knowledge! The grace is NOT there for worrying...THAT is sin. :) BUT it is hard...one day at a time and ENJOY these days!!

One more thing...somehow blogger deleted your note to me...or maybe it will show up again...seems like that is how it's working these days. Just wanted you to know that I didn't delete you. I appreciate you *so* much and count you are a "real life" friend. :) I understand about the lack of blogging time...more important things take priority.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Love,
Camille

Kathy Schwanke said...

Awesome!! What a wonderful story of God moving the heart of a child...even more wonderful is she is YOUR child! :)
~Kathy

Pure Perseverance said...

This is what it is all about! You have done a good job, Mommy, bringing her before the Lord and raising her to listen to Him. Yes! I believe it is absolutely ok to pray for her to stay close. If His plans differ, He'll let you know ;o). He knows your heart. Besides, He's a daddy, so He understands the desire of wanting your children to stay close. May He work His perfect will in her and your family's lives.

Tightwad In Training said...

Hi Heather,

I received a message from Meghan letting me know that I can view her blog if i give her my e-mail. I have no idea how to do it but through your blog. Will you kindly pass it on to her? My e-mail is tightwadintraining@gmail.com. Thank you tons! By the way, you have a precious daughter! :)