Thursday, January 3, 2013

How Can I Know God's Will For 2013?


There are so many requests on my page as I sit with the Lord. Petitions of  healing for my sister-in-law, wisdom in my homeschooling, deliverance in areas of cyclical disobedience, help with life-changing decisions all flood from my mouth and I'm urging myself to begin with worship. At times I feel desperate in my prayers and I try to keep the dam from leaking as I begin to tell my Lord how awesome He is. But the dam gushes and I'm soaking wet with neediness. He understands my desperation. He knows how this world feels. He put on skin and came here. But He also knows I'll receive His peace in a greater capacity when I sit and honour Him for who He is. Why is that so important? Because in worshipping the Creator of the universe, I make Him big and me and my problems small. Before I even give him my list, I've come to remember Who I'm conversing with and I begin to sense His love. When I quiet myself enough to feel His loving presence, I'm convinced His will in my life is going to be nothing but the best. That's why I have entered into the Daniel Fast for this first month of 2013. I want to go deeper with God, sense His love in a big way and know His will for me as I walk through this year.
 
Fasting could be a huge blog post in itself, but I will simply lead to a single site that has helped me in the process. It is www.daniel-fast.com . I chose to do a partial fast because anytime I have done a complete fast it was short-lived and I tend to need more reminders to stay connected on a deeper level with the Lord. Doing a fast keeps me living the relationship rather than sectioning off a corner of my day for God. Oh, I talk about Him all day with my children and I whisper prayers like breathing, but He desires my undivided attention and I know I need the benefits of that.
 
What I've learned about God is that He is not in the business of keeping His will a secret from His people. He wants us to walk in His ways and to know His heart. He doesn't elude us to keep us guessing, rather, He waits until we meet with Him and seek Him with all of our being. Proverbs 2:3-5 says, "Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God." Isn't that amazing? Fasting is one way of narrowing our focus and causing us to concentrate more on this seeking. Does fasting make you a better Christian? No, some people cannot fast at all for health reasons and I believe the Lord will call you to a fast if He wants you to take up that practice for a time. I had asked my Father if He wanted me to begin the year this way and He answered me by bombarding me with signs, everywhere I turned, that didn't allow me to forget my request. I love it when He does that. I need billboards sometimes :)
 
So as we enter a year of uncertainty, we can begin by offering ourselves to the Lord as a form of worship. We honour Him as the all-wise God who is able to care for all of our needs and to work all things for our good. Whether you fast or simply live your life as a sacrifice before Him this year, know that His love will lead you, if you remain connected to Him. God bless you in 2013, dear friends.

2 comments:

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...


Beautiful words. "know that His love will lead you, if you remain connected to Him" AMEN and AMEN!

Nizar & Ema said...

Very touchy and we learn alot from it
Thanks for sharing it Heather. I always worship and sometimes more and more when I am in a middle of situation don't know what to do ,but by worshiping and sometimes dancing GOD talks to us in His soft , clear voice :)