Sunday, February 1, 2015

He Doesn't Belong

I felt my heart leap as I raised my lens to snap fifty or so photos of this wee feathery guy. My son's "Life Bird" was pecking the seeds just ten feet from us and we couldn't believe our eyes. You see, he's not supposed to be this far north. His tiny body craves the warmth of the south year round and we don't know how he lost his way--no one does. Not even the professional bird-watching photographers who stood in awe beside us--bazooka lenses mounted on tripods, covered in camouflage--could hazard a guess.
 
Oliver bent low and marked the occasion in his bird file folder while Meg lifted the camera from my neck to capture a cheery cardinal who seemed to show off just a little and command some of the attention himself. All of us shivered in the -8 degrees, biting air. It was worth it. We'd not only viewed a beautiful miracle of God, but were also gifted the time to photograph him. Since that day, many prayers have been whispered for his tiny self to survive the days to come until he can rest easy in the warm Spring breeze or decide to migrate home.
lovely Painted Bunting (God must have had fun with this one, especially) 
 
Thanks, Annie, for sharing the email that led us to the little park where he had been spotted.
(Like we always say, "Springies Forever!")
 

1 comment:

Camille said...

Sorry I have been sooo far behind with you my friend....it's been lovely to catch up with you here today. Have a beautiful day! XO