Monday, March 14, 2011

A Whole Lot Less Luggage

It's different every time; their growing changes how we do things. We used to look like ants carrying larger-than-ourselves cargo, but now we've gotten it down to a few pails and shovels. Imagination counts for more at this age than "stuff" and that makes my husband and I very happy... and a lot less tired.

At the pool, we drag one life jacket. At the beginning of the week, there were water-wings, but one little "mermaid" was determined to learn to swim--and that she did (along with a lot of spitting water). Gratitude:

669. the way he looks for an open spot on the beach, far from the bikini-clad bodies, out of respect for me

670. the way she could dig up that sand all day without stopping and how I have to stuff lunch in her mouth as she works

671. the pure determination she had to swim (she looked so awkward, I thought she might not, but she proved me wrong!)

672. how my boy declared to the girls that God is with our pets at home so he wasn't worried about them

673. for the long drive and how my poor husband had to listen to me all the way and couldn't move :)

674. how a friend I hadn't seen since grade 10 was staying at our hotel with her four homeschooled kids (wow!) and heading to the museum too!

675. for our hotel routine, our trailer days and beach excursions, and how my husband and I are such a team in the whole process

676. for Answers In Genesis http://www.answersingenesis.org/

677. for this bloggy friend who introduced me to it AND sent me a subscription to their magazine!

678. for ice cream and slushees and all things that make summer and warm vacations special

679. for my awesome neighbour who looks after Clementine while we're gone

680. for birthday fun that makes coming home not so uneventful

681. for free WiFi

682. for many "older" hands that make work lighter and a whole lot less luggage!

683. how they chased that seagull, that stole her peanut butter sandwich, all over the beach

684. the way they chanted, "Winter! Winter! Winter!" when we spotted our first snow on the way home (I wanted to turn around and head back but was grateful they appreciate both climates)

"He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters." Psalm 23:2



7 comments:

jeana said...

Your list is so wonderful! I can't believe you saw an old friens, and the stuffing her mouth with lunch cracked me up! I'm so glad you had a great time.

Jeana

Amy said...

beautiful list. loved number one..what a great man.
Amy

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

Your #673 with poor hubby trapped listening made me giggle. I love road trips for the same reason and he's such a sport about it! :)

Anna said...

I love it when the beach luggage gets lighter and when you have older helping hands! How fun, you met an old high school friend! Sound like you had an amazing vacation.

Craig said...

Even though it’s Tuesday I needed more gratitude so I just came over from Ann’s.

Your whole list was awesome - but I liked this one the best: 683. how they chased that seagull, that stole her peanut butter sandwich, all over the beach (I can see it happening – the pictures – by the way were all brilliant – I just want to say a big God Bless you to you and your family – it sounds like an amazing vacation.{smile}

God Bless and keep you and all of yours

Camille said...

Wonderful list (as always Heather)! :) Great photos...so much fun.

Love,
Camille

Camille said...

Oh...I forgot to say...that was sweet of you to link to me...thanks. :)