Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hungering For God

Most days, I fill my belly and I go on without thinking. Well, I do think, but only of myself and my next snack or meal. Comfort is what I desire. Safety. Protection. Blessing. How then, do I ever truly know hunger? Hunger for food, for change, for answers, for God?

Fasting is an act of obedience it's not a popular practice, but Jesus said, "When you fast..." I've studied it's benefits, it's requirements and it wasn't until I actually began the practice that I realized why God invites us to experience Him in this way. I have found that it's only in meeting with the King in such a personal and focused way that we can grasp His will and His heart. Prayers are answered, yes, but it's this deep communion that He knows the invitation holds.
I want to live a fast, that is, to live in a daily communion so that I'm not guilty of the "one day fast" that Jesus talks about in Isaiah 58--one in which we resume our regular living in sin shortly after our fasting. I want to be obsessed with Jesus. I want to show my children a crazy love for a God who demonstrates an amazing love for me. I like how Francis Chan describes it in his book, Crazy Love: "People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress".
Hungering for God is the first step toward this communion and also the way in which I hunger for more. It's a beautiful cycle. Deliberate hunger--this fasting thing--along with the benefit of answers to prayer, it draws me closer to Him, and satisfies my famished soul.
holy experience

9 comments:

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

Yes, fasting creates a deliberate hunger. I hadn't really thought of it in those terms. You are so wise to desire to demonstrate "crazy love" to your children. God will honor you for it.

Kathy Schwanke said...

"I want to live a daily fast"...
It makes me think of being separated unto him.

The closer ones to the tabernacle...in the OT it was only the Levites that were chosen to circle around the center and keep the wrath of God from the other tribes camping in the N/S/E/W.

Now we are all chosen, invited... but it seems few come. It takes my breath away that the way is opened to us to be so near! No one needs stay back from fear of death...

Love your post...I need to do more fasting. It is easy to "forget". I used to do it once a week. This is encouragement! Thanks!
Kathy

Layton Family said...

oh so good! I am so guilty of the Isaiah 58 fast - worse, patting myself on the back because I made it thru - woo hoo, go me.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled. Mat. 5:6
I want that hunger that has absolutely nothing to do with me in the end! To lift up hands and cry thankfully over the time spent with Him!

Thanks for your note on my blog - appreciate the encouragement!!
Stef

sydney ellen said...

Lovely post! I've never really thought of it that way. Thanks for your wise insights! ;)

Sydney <><

The Carmodys said...

I love this post Heather. I've often thought about fasting but to be honest, it's a bit of a foreign concept to me. I'll have to do some serious reading on the subject. Thanks for the insight.

k

Annesta said...

A beautifully written post to remind us that we need communion with God and that hungering after Him is a beautiful thing that gives glory to Him.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Annesta

Traci Michele said...

LOVE THIS POST Heather! I want to live a fast as well! Romans 12:1-2

Love you!

Traci

Camille said...

I appreciate you Heather! Thanks for thought-provoking posts such as this. God is truly wonderful and He gives us all we need and so much more! May He enable you to be the woman of God you desire to be for His glory!

On another note...I always enjoy your pics and this one is no exception.

Have a lovely evening!
Love,
Camille

Mouse and Magoo said...

To Sydney" Great christian fish!
<><!

To Mommy: Great photo!