Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Surprised By Hunger


I thought I'd try a little reading aloud one evening while we were camping. Prayer always continues no matter where we are and so does singing--lots of singing. But read-alouds, well, we had taken quite a break from them.
The children were riding bikes with their new friends, up and down the lane way that stretched between campsites. I strolled to the edge of the road and called out to them and held up Wisdom With The Millers. Now, sometimes swimming, watermelon, or campfire (all much loved) cannot tear those kids away from their bikes. Emily, on her just-had-the-training-wheels-off-two-wheeler, Meghan, racing with the boy from three sites down, Molly, meandering here and there with her new friend, and Oliver, often found on a neighbour's John Deere tricycle, spent most waking hours immersed in this activity. But somehow, the sight of that little, yellow book caused feet to pedal faster than ever and wheels soared all the way back to our trailer.
I had already set up chairs for each of us, not realizing, our little neighbour had followed the girls to see what made them drop their bikes at the road and come running. We created a little spot for him too and he plopped himself down like one of the family. Oliver sat for awhile but as it often goes, he headed out to do his own thing after a few paragraphs. Our four year-old guest, who was obviously not used to read-alouds, frequently interrupted and the girls hushed him over and over. Two chapters later they begged for more and I stopped so that we could start campfire. We prayed and each of us glanced at the little boy who had been eager to join us. He seemed oblivious to what was happening. The children set off on their bikes once again to enjoy the last of the daylight. I made a mental note to keep this sweet camper on our prayer list.
I rose and collected chairs, amazed that this simple set of stories of a conservative family intrigue my children so much. The life lessons learned and the connections they make with their own lives are priceless. This is a holy practice we maintain. We read God's Word, we read stories of applying the wisdom in His Word, and we pray for guidance to live out that wisdom. When I doubted their desire for it, they surprised me and demonstrated that there is a hunger beyond what physical activities and fun can offer. Why would this cause me such wonder? We were created with a God-size hole in our hearts! As parents, we simply guide them to the One who can fill it.
I am grateful for the hunger.

holy experience

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Heather what a wonderful post..
We have not been camping in a long time but it looks like fun..
You are a creative and caring mom..
Continue to fill their hearts and minds with the word.. You go girl !!!

Rachel said...

Family camping trips are so much fun! So nice when we become magnets and other children as well as our own gather around. Thanks for leaving the kind comments at my blog yesterday.

Wanting What I Have said...

Ok, I am adding this one to my read-aloud list for the kids. I've never heard of it! So glad you shared!

Reading your camping stories and seeing the pictures makes me want to go! I've never camped in a camper...looks like such fun!

sydney ellen said...

What a lovely post...I also love read-alouds, and reading aloud the read-alouds! :)

Tightwad In Training said...

"We were created with a God-size hole in our hearts! As parents, we simply guide them to the One who can fill it". ~ Love the statement!

Camille said...

We *love* "Wisdom and the Miller's" here and I researched and found the others in the series...they really are treasures!

How precious that little boy joined in! Another WONDERFUL (can't stress this one enough) read-aloud (which works great anytime, but especially while camping) is "Little Pilgrim's Progress" by Helen Taylor ~ true to the original, but simplified...SOOOOOO good! :)

It's such a blessing to be able to share the ONE who can fill that void in our children! Great post!!

With Love,
Camille

Craig and Bethany said...

I have to get a copy of that book! I'm always amazed how the simplest stories capture my kids when we read them as a family.

Oh, and I love how in your pic I can totally see the wheels of imagination turning in each child's face and body language. The best kind of leisure.