Thursday, April 7, 2011

Country Visit

We took a trip to the country today. It was grand. Fresh air in the lungs, mud on the boots, faint skunk odour in the pores, a little horse ride, and some good conversation were just what the doctor ordered.

Meghan and Bronwyn spent time together in the barns, laughing and sharing stories and building a special friendship.
photo by Bronwyn

photo by the girls

Emily stayed closer to the house, running with Aaron, running from Aaron and running around Aaron in full-giggle-and-noise mode.

Oliver moved from sandbox to cars to riding toys, thrilled to have full access to someone else's belongings.

Molly played "itty-bitties" with Serena, who is also a lover of all things tiny. When I asked her to look up for this photo she lifted her hand up with a worm squirming on her palm. Yes, she even brought her new friend home in a container with a handful of soil.

Us moms tended to runny noses, muddy splash pants, food preparation, dishes, and sibling squabbles; then we sat down, sipped tea, shared Grandma stories and cried together. Similar hearts know the ache of a void left by the absence of devoted and comforting love.
We stayed longer than planned and the time was sweet. I love visits that make it difficult to load my van with children. That means we'll be back again before too long.
Thanks, Friends for a special day.

3 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

Lovely words and photos, as always.

This is kind of random, but I love the name Bronwyn. My son would have been named Brownwyn had he been born a girl. Nine years later, I gave birth to a girl, but she has a different last name than my son, and it rhymes w/ Bronwyn. So, in the end, I couldn't do it. Too sing-songy. But, oh! I love the name!

Camille said...

Wonderful post Heather! I *love* the words and the photos...that first one of the two girls is amazing! :)

Love,
Camille

Anna said...

Sounds like a great time! (I missed coming over, though)!