Friday, April 22, 2011

This Is Friday, And It Is Good

It's called Good Friday but when the historic happenings of this day are researched in detail, it's horribly grotesque and sad. My husband and I will experience The Passion Of The Christ movie once again in order to have these images refreshed in our minds for the coming year. I squint through laced fingers over my eyes but I have to see. I need to picture what He may have looked like. I need to fall in love with the way He told stories to the people, how He loved the children, how He led His disciples, how He healed the "nobodies", how He willingly allowed Himself to be taken to the slaughter. And then, when I do fall in love with Him, I watch the death and remember it was my sin that held Him there.

Are you a visual person? When I'm in prayer, I must picture my Jesus. I imagine Him on the hillside and in the boat on the sea... and carrying that cross... it helps me to focus on Who I am praying to. This God of the universe in human form--listening to me.

But it's all GOOD because we know the end of the story. Just days later He lives again and every Easter hymn and every picture and every symbol makes my heart leap because they all proclaim that I get to live too... forever--because of what He did that Friday.

We've just got to remember. Remember with me that this day is good.

(photos of decorating our Easter Tree this week--given to us by Molly's Sunday School teachers, Angela, James and Randi-Lynn--Thank you!)

5 comments:

Anna said...

I love your Easter tree. Great visuals.
Have a blessed Easter weekend.

Cari said...

Beautiful Heather, thank you for your words. We too watch the Passion for the same reason and I HATE watching it and yet I wish I hated my sin more. I am a visual person and it helps me come that much closer to embracing His love for me and I LOVE the sweetness that comes with Easter after having "seen" it.

Gloria said...

The Passion of the Christ was very moving, I must agree. Have you ever watched "Jesus of Nazareth" -- the one from TV from 1977. That is my favorite to watch. It is the whole life of Jesus, ending with his Resurrection. I think they picked a PERFECT actor for Jesus. This is how I picture Jesus to look and be. If you get a chance, try to rent it or ask for it as a gift! Here it is, in case you want to read up on it:
http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Nazareth-Robert-Powell/dp/B0000633QW
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter.
Best,
Gloria

Heather said...

Thanks so much for the idea, Gloria. I will definitely look that movie up.
Happy Easter, friends!

Love, Heather

Craig and Bethany said...

*tears*

Thanks. Still takes my breath away. Seems like your kids really get it. Another miracle. That bond of love just grows stronger and stronger.