Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Gift of Giving

There are Givers and there are Takers. Personally, I have a lot of Givers in my life. I am so blessed to know these people. I watch them and I'm amazed at their humility and selflessness. They take pleasure in giving small and large offerings to those around them and never expect anything in return. I can't begin to recount each person and everything thing they do, so I'll just share about the one I encountered today.
There is a man who has worked for my husband for many years. He is always looking for ways to give to our family. We receive things that he has picked up from distant places on his visits with family and he also drops off food and treats. Today, he came to show my children that the plums were ripe on the fruit trees at the nursery. We all went down and he said he really wanted them to pluck the yellow plums straight from the source and eat them. He thought this would be a wonderful thing for them to experience. It was very kind of him and we enjoyed it.







We brought the plums home and each of us washed and ate of God's goodness and I thanked Him for the thoughtfulness of this man.
Lord, help me to be a true Giver, the kind that expects nothing in return. Help me to bless others and to take joy simply in the gift of giving.

No comments: