Sunday, August 2, 2009

Child-like Faith

Two campsites from ours was a little girl with whom Molly became instant friends. They laid a sleeping bag on the grass on the site between us and coloured together for a long time. I smiled and looked up from my book as I heard constant giggles floating on the breeze. I couldn't hear exactly what they were saying but I admired their ability to throw caution and shyness to the wind and just be themselves together.
Suddenly, Molly jumped up and ran over to me. Out of breath, she said, "Mommy! Laurel doesn't believe in God! She doesn't pray and her parents don't believe in God!" Marveling at her taking the opportunity to get straight to the important matters, I told her that she could still be Laurel's friend and to go back and to show God's love by being kind to her. Molly looked desperate and she blurted, "But what's going to happen to her!?" She ran back to play with her new friend and I couldn't help but be inspired by the fervency of my seven year-old.
Laurel left the next day and after their goodbye, Molly climbed inside the trailer and told me she was making a book. Sometime later, she placed her work of art in my lap and asked me to read it. The title said, "A BOOK OF LOREL AND ME" and there were a few pages of designs and pictures of the two of them biking together. Then I came upon the page that she had written, "GOD, PLEESE HELP LOREL TO BULEVE IN YOU AND PRAY TODAY." I cried as I held that precious petition from a young heart full of faith and hope. I told her that Laurel was a very blessed girl to have met someone who cared so much about her and that God would honour her prayer because it's exactly how He wants us to pray.

Teach me, Lord, to have such child-like faith and to care as deeply for the people I've only just met.

No comments: