Thursday, September 24, 2009

Backyardigans

My children are little "Backyardigans". If there's an opportunity, or an open door (which my son has found on more than one occasion), they dash outside, forgetting shoes, jackets, using the bathroom, eating lunch, etc. Because our nursery is adjacent to our home, the scope of exploration is immense. There is a white fence that runs along the back of the nursery and the gorgeous creatures that paw the dust just behind the fence are a magnet to my kids. They have always felt like we own the horses when in reality, they belong to our neighbours. My little ones have named them and fed them for years and we've enjoyed their beauty without the effort of responsibility. The whinny of these gentle beasts is a welcome sound through my kitchen window and evokes fond memories of riding as a child. I hear the laughter at the wet snort from one horse's nostrils and I smile; the delight of my kids becomes my pleasure.
Education requires Creation-embracing and we are so blessed to have an abundance of opportunity to make this a focus of our everyday lives. When homeschool gets tedious, don't forget to take your little Backyardigans to explore the woods or pond. Discover green carpets of velvet in a field, or intricate wings of dragonflies alighting on a creek. It's likely that nothing else will draw them closer to their Creator than this special place of meeting: His world.

4 comments:

Mouse and Magoo said...

I love that post!
Just like them all, only more me, I guess, or more of something I like. Oh ya! The outdoors :)
I was a little disapointed though, that the funny story of Brownie and my head. Well, that's ok. At least it's in our heads and the memory was funny!

~Megs

Anonymous said...

To my sweet little GRAND-backyardigans: I love you!!! Guess who? xo xo xo xo

Annie said...

"We've got the whole wide world in our yards to explore......"
Your own little backyardigans...precious!!!!
Great shots by the way!!!
xoxo

sgm said...

thanks for the reminder of what lives in our backyard! Daily we hear the school kids at recess just beyond our fence, and it reminds me of the desire all children have to run, play, explore and love life! Some days I am flat out of ideas and other days can't decide what to pick! You have inspired me to just pick one and do it!! I need to get outside!!
love ya Heath!!