Monday, April 12, 2010

Joy In The Mundane

The alluring and greatly-missed sunshine had been the object of my happy conversations with people lately, the small talk at gatherings, the phone calls. It had been the reason why we began to run around again, somehow finding more errands to run than usual. Family visits, places to go, things to do. I started to notice the busyness and how our schoolwork was waning. I pushed the thoughts away since we were finding joy in the balmy temperatures. It's often said that the weather has an impact on our emotions and our attitudes, even our physical bodies. I got carried away with it's beckoning and I knew it was time to rein-in that draw I had to dance in the sun's beams.
Rain fell gently outside my window and I drew back the curtains. Mmmm, I love this kind of day. The kind that exudes that cozy feeling. The kind that allows a cup of tea and a settling down with the books again. We were finding joy in the coming back and the organization and the goal-keeping. I wanted ten more days like this!
But where was my drive coming from? What got me up in the morning and what sustained my days? What was I teaching my children? That my mood could drive our days? That all our goal-setting depended on the weather? I was like a leaf tossed to and fro with every whim and fancy.

I read, "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:12) and "See that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time..." (Ephesians 5:15). These scriptures broke me. Redeeming the time is not only about scheduling here, it's also about what is filling that time. When I thought about how little time I actually have with my children before they leave my home for good, I re-evaluated my training process. It was becoming too willy-nilly and the Lord was convicting me. I yearned to watch my children grow in self-discipline and hard work. Teach them my ways, not yours, is what I kept hearing from His whisper.
I praised God for the freedom in homeschooling to be able to relish in a day here and there, a treat unlike the grind of school buses and scheduled hours but I also praised Him for the accountability He nudges in me. So now, I am learning to find joy in the mundane, ordinary schedule of life where truth and training are found... no matter what the weather. We'll do our math on the fresh, velvety grass in the backyard or paint pictures by a rain-spattered window, but we will do our work well.

Gratitude 235. various kinds of weather

236. convicting nudges from God (my ultimate accountability)

237. the other changes He's making in me (miracles, really)

238. new hope for the wrongfully imprisoned!

239. golf

240. lisps and mispronounced "r" from little ones

241. friends for corporate fasting

242. family walks on Sundays

holy experience

9 comments:

Trisha said...

This is beautiful, full of His truth, and so encouraging.

sydney ellen said...

Another great list! Love "mispronounced 'r'!"
VERY CUTE!

Craig and Bethany said...

Redeeming the times. I needed to hear that today. Thanks.

We homeschool too. :)

Unknown said...

redeeming the time is something that takes discipline. I love that verse, because it brings light to the times when I'm just doing whatever I want to...living for myself. I'll be honest, I live for myself about 89% of the day or more if I'm not careful.
Your list was so insightful. We have had sun and recently, rain, here too. You put Spring into perspective for me. THanks!

Jamie said...

I love that verse - Psalm 90:12. Teach us to number our days...He alone gives the perfect wisdom for the journey of life. He simply asks that we be obedient to what he speaks to us/asks of us. Thanks for that reminder...

Anna said...

You make me want to homeschool! Keep finding joy in the mundane! Uplifting and encouraging.
Anna

Pure Perseverance said...

Much love to you! His teaching and revealing is deep.

Camille said...

What a wonderful post Heather! Oh yes, God IS the ONE we are ultimately accountable to!! Do we live like that day by day...in the mundane?? I am afraid we fail too often, but isn't HE wonderful ~ HE gives more grace and guides so gently ~ We are blessed!! Thanks for sharing your heart...you are a blessing to me! :)

With Love,
Camille

Mouse and Magoo said...

Great post.

The joy in the mundane is not my kind of title, but i am learning to have fun in all kinds of weather!

Thanks again,
Meghan