Monday, April 26, 2010

The Reality Of God To A Preschooler

"OH, NO, Mommy!", three year-old Oliver exclaims. "God and Jesus are getting sooo cold!"
I stride to the kitchen to see my wide-eyed boy with popsicle juice dripping from his chin.
I respond to his panic, "Why is Jesus cold, Buddy?"
"Because I'm eating this popsicle and it's going down to my heart!"

His biggest sister turns and stifles her laugh while I begin my explanation to calm his fears. Simple explanations are often the most difficult but I manage to tumble out something along the lines of the popsicle bypassing the heart and going straight to his tummy. We'll save the anatomy lesson and where Jesus truly abides for another day. For now, I soak up this time when my little one believes the Maker of this Universe is so present inside of Him that He could be frozen by a popsicle.
Oliver, may you always feel the King of Kings in the temple of your body and may you always care for your temple with that wonderful thought in mind.

5 comments:

Kathy Schwanke said...

That is the sweetest cutest story ever!!!

I love the name Oliver too!

Would you mind if I used your story in my next newsletter to the ladies of my church?

<3 it!!!
Kathy

Camille said...

How precious!! What a beautiful "wish" for your little man as well...God is so good! May HE keep Oliver tender...

Love,
Camille

Heather said...

oh my little sport....Daddy loves your heart - your childlike faith. May God help me nurture your sweet spirit, and be the godly man and spiritual mentor you need me to be!

I love you buddy..."wanna play hockey"?

Daddy

Craig and Bethany said...

Oh Heather, I'm laughing OUT LOUD. :) How completely refreshing. I want to know Jesus like your little boy. Sometimes I forget how present He is. What a delight! I love your posts. Yes, I think we must live parallel lives.

sydney ellen said...

What a sweet post!!!! Oliver is always super cute.