Friday, June 11, 2010

Mentorship Over Tea

They drove for miles just to teach us about what it means to really live out Proverbs 31 and to pass it on to our daughters. Their passion oozed out to each of us women and our girls, who sat around tables with scones in hand, ears pricked for tidbits of wisdom. They, a mother and her three daughters and daughter-in-law, divided the passage between them and shared practical examples from their own lives. My eldest, on one side, pointed out those she recognized from the videos we'd seen and discussed. On the other side of me, my mom, who, by the grace of God, demonstrated this Proverbs icon even amidst the turmoil of her marriage to my father. She continues to grow and learn what it means to share her history with the younger women and help them to make wise choices in their marriages. Titus 2 is her life now while I wrestle daily with practicing the model of the "Noble Wife".

My little ones, along with other small children played at my feet and I glanced across the room at my dear friend, soon to be a mom of five, and her sister, soon to birth her seventh. They're living out this model in ways I have observed and applied to my own life... a spurring on of the faithful. These two sisters and their children encircled a table with their mother, who exemplifies the qualities of both biblical women. Another table held an acquaintance, one I occasionally smile at and share a passing, "hello" at gatherings such as these. Yet another woman I had just met that day rocked her newborn and inspired a new idea in my mind by her stories of hospitality. Mentors all around, young and old. Many others, eager to grasp God's ultimate design for them, listened carefully, some took notes and asked questions.

We collected Hot Wheels cars, markers and notebooks and piled into the van. My thoughts burned with the desire for more knowledge--more of His knowledge. I don't want to perish for lack of it. I don't want to tear down my house with my own hands. I don't want to live without the law of kindness on my tongue. I want my daughters (and son) to value this model. I want them to see it in me. I want them to become the woman described in Proverbs and naturally move into becoming a woman of Titus 2 who shares her qualities with others.
How do we live out these counter-cultural ideals? I believe it begins with a deep familiarity of the Scriptures and then surrounding ourselves with mentors. Am I seeking to live out this model that God has deemed important enough to put it His Word? To whom am I being a mentor? I stand in a very privileged position-that of wife and mother. But also, I am blessed because of the myriad of mentors whom I am frequently inspired by.

For your interest, here is the link to the conference I was invited to and was able to attend the "Tea" that day... http://ncfic.org/

4 comments:

Dianna said...

A very thought provoking post, Heather. Thank you so much for sharing.

Camille said...

Oh sounds sooooo good! I would have LOVED to have been there. What a blessing that we have God's Word to study and live by. May God give us the grace, help and strength to follow HIM in ALL things! Thanks for sharing with us Heather!

Love,
Camille

Craig and Bethany said...

Intimate familiarity with scripture and mentors, yes! I pray I will step into both of these more each day. May we join hands and spur each other on!

Tightwad In Training said...

Thank you for sharing, Heather. I needed to hear this today. Actually I need to go back and re-read Proverbs 31 tonight. Not too long ago I took a class on Proverbs 31 at our church. It was fun, but at times overwhelming. I wondered if the woman described in proverbs ever slept.:) The desire of my heart is to strive for perfection...to be the godly woman that the Lord wants me to be.

Yesterday I found myself complaining to my husband about living the middle of nowhere with no access to internet. He told me to just hold off for another 1.5. But i have been holding off for 3 years now and want want want connection to internet.

As I complained, I totally neglected to look at another size, which what probably Proverbs woman would do. We live in a house with no rent or mortgage, while my husband finishing up school. So instead of complaining, I should be rejoicing, even if it means that I have to drive 30 min to the fast food restaurant to connect. :)

Thank you for sharing...I am reading Prov. 31 again tonight!

Much love,
OM