Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Quiet Life

We strolled up and down the quiet streets of my sister's small town. She lives in a Mennonite community and it was the town's annual yard sale. The weather was lovely and rubbing shoulders with people who have chosen a quiet life gave me a real sense of peace. The whole day was a reminder that returning to simpler times is the best way to hear God's whisper, to unite with family, and to recognize what truly matters.
What a dude this little guy is on the right.

Mama comes along for the deals.

Molly searches for a diamond in the rough.
Yes, this man is on his cell phone :)



My best finds of the day?
  1. a large sewing box with tiered sections, chock full of sewing bits... $8
  2. a large crock-pot (since mine from my wedding is tiny)... $5
  3. a corning ware casserole dish with lid (since mine broke)... $0.50
  4. a whole load of books from a retired teacher who was selling her things... $12.00
  5. spending the day with my mom, sister and her family... priceless!

5 comments:

Dianna said...

What a special treat to be able to spend time with your sister and mom, visit in this community and to be able to get all of those great bargains! My heart skipped a beat when I read about the books from a teacher for $12! LOVE books!

Anna said...

Hey, where are the pictures of you guys with your bonnets?!! Oh, the quieter life. Nice that you had that time together. Indeed, priceless.
Anna

Camille said...

What great finds Heather! Oh that box of books from a retired teacher...how WONDERFUL!!!!! And of course, precious times with Mom and sister...priceless. :)

Love,
Camille

Tightwad In Training said...

I would absolutely love to live in Amish or Mennonite community and learn how to living simple from them! Thank you for sharing!!!!

Craig and Bethany said...

I wish we could have come! We LOVE yard sales. Ever since I can remember they have been a family treasure hunt. Sounds like this one was really special.