Sunday, August 5, 2012

Eighteen Years

The waitress, who said we must have married when we were ten (lol), doesn't know how our secret. She even asked, but other tables called her away to her duties. We chuckled as she flitted here and there, trying to catch bits and pieces of our conversation in this riverside restaurant my husband surprised me with. It's been eighteen years and the secret to our joy is that we've given our lives to Jesus; not just once, but every day.

Terry and I have faced very hard times in our marriage. We've been able to mentor young couples because we understand the angst and confusion that come with life as newlyweds, young parents, entrepreneurs, and humans. We could have thrown in the towel a time or two. But we're not about to because life is not about the next best thing. It's about loving the one God created for you and sticking it out.

Need a second chance because your marriage didn't turn out this way? Your God is a mighty and gracious forgiver. He's a mender of broken hearts and your plan B can be better than you can imagine. For those of you still toughing it out in plan A, be encouraged. It's worth it all when you place Jesus as number one in your marriage. Are you the only one in the relationship putting Jesus there? Continue to persevere, my friend. Your God-honouring lifestyle will draw your partner. May God bless our marriages as we seek Him in all our daily living.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! And yes, you both really don't look old enough to be married for 18 years!
And secondly, I am so happy that you have been mentoring younger couples, drawing from you own experience. It's an important and worthy ministry. I think sometimes couples think that they're the "only ones" going through something, when its a choice we ?ALL need to make everyday - to love each other.
Beautiful pic too! Miss you guys:)

jeana said...

Congratulations! I agree with the comment on your age. You are a stunning couple, you can definitely see Jesus in you! So great to hear from you!

Hopes Handcrafts said...

what a beautiful post, Heather! {{hugs}} Congrats to you and Terry...marriage is a covenant that so precious yet we so often think things would be better if ...you fill in the dots...

My marriage crumbled 3 and a half years ago but in that time the Lord has been the Lifter of my head and conitnues to give me Hope. Thanks for your encouraging words.

Craig and Bethany said...

So true, Heather. I am always encouraged here at your place.

Giving my life to Jesus everyday. That's a good thought to think on.

Anna said...

Amen and Amen!
Time flies, eh. I remember when we were just newly weds!

Camille said...

Happy 18th my friend! What a blessing!! Yes, it is the LORD...HE is so Good to us, isn't HE?? :)

Love to you!
Camille

P.S. You look absolutely radiant in your photo...so beautiful! :)

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

Happy 18th! I love how God brings two hearts together and is at work to strengthen marriages.

Praise God for your testimony! It never ceases to make me smile when I see how God works in our love stories!

I know He's been at work in mine. I'm sure I would have blown it and driven that man I love away long before now. I'm thankful for His refining work and how He grows our love more and more with each year!