Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Favourite Kind of Day



I've often heard people comment on a rainy day, "It's miserable out there!" but a rainy day is my favourite kind. I'm not exactly sure why, but I know that it has always calmed me. When I used to work outside the home, I thoroughly enjoyed a "gloomy" day. Now that I'm home full-time, it's even better! There is a peace in our house right now as the rain soaks our surroundings. The darkened sky quiets us and draws us to cozy corners to read or draw. We try to keep the lights turned off as if to remind ourselves it's really daytime. Occasionally, we find ourselves staring out the window, mesmerized by water droplets splattering off leaves and the interlock driveway. Rainy days are not rare, but they are a gift. What would we do without them? My older children know that God is watering the earth today, but the little ones simply see the joy of puddles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I was walking back to my car in the rain after work, I thought, "this is familiar". It's been a long time since I walked in the rain, not concerned at all about getting wet. There was something different about the way the rain fell today. It seemed to be falling hard, but as it hit my face it was very soft. It took me back to a childhood memory, when I played on the sidewalk with the other neighbourhood children, pretending we had a swimming pool! No one in our neighbourhood had a pool. We only had the rain. I revelled in the rain, today and thanked GOD for transporting me back to a simpler time.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts with the world!