Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Lesson In Boundaries


My Grandma's old kitchen cupboard beside her fridge held folded linens of lace and cotton, embroidered napkins, table cloths and draperies. When I was a little girl, I slept over at her home frequently and I loved that she let me pull them out and wrap myself in them whenever I wanted to play dress-up. I instantly became a bride or a princess simply by draping the pieces over my head and shoulders. She would laugh and take my picture. My throat aches and tears sting as I write these words, thinking of her. I miss her. She allowed me, as a child, to imagine and play without restraint. It was at her home, I felt I could be almost anything I wanted.
I sometimes find myself restricting my children's play or art by my need to keep it tidy. It's funny how this photo reminded me of my Grandma (Mama). She loved seeing the kids dressed up. It was her favourite thing. Now when I look back, I realize, she had a grasp on the fact that they're only young for a short time. Just as she allowed me to have unfettered play, she loved to see me giving my children the opportunity to be silly and to have fun without such rigid boundaries.
I don't want my children to remember how they were hurried, how they were "reined in" just when they got a great idea for their artwork. I do want them to remember how their mom gave them liberal opportunity to just be kids. They love dressing up, especially as animals, so when our church was planning our annual Fun Fall Fair, my children were imagining what they were going to be transformed into for that night. Of course, there were some regulations on the dress code, as there should be, but the memories will be sweet for my little frog, penguin, lion and angel.
As my mind turns heavenward, I'm assured we'll see Mama again, but for now, I'll follow her example, slow down a little and remove some of the boundaries around my kids' playtime. One day, after years of imagining, experimenting, and just plain having fun, I will turn around and realize... they've grown up.


After I wrote this, I came across this inspiring little post from another blogger... www.afamiliarpath.com/2009/02/sewing-memory.html :)

3 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

thanks for the link. adorable costumes and i love the fall photos on the post below!

Camille said...

I so appreciate this post...what a wonderful reminder that they do grow up...TOO QUICKLY!!!

Annie said...

Nellie
I thought about Mama as we were going out for treats....and realized that this was an anniversary of sorts for you....she really did love this day...she is very proud of you.
xoxo