Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Kid Was Here

My husband and I have a little phrase we use whenever we see something awkwardly out of place in our home: "A kid was here." It's not just for something that's untidy, but something that's in a very odd place. For example, we've seen, a tiny Polly Pocket doll climbing one of our plants, a tape measure in the fridge, Lego in the fruit bowl, toy cars in the pantry cupboard, and an open umbrella over the toilet. We always laugh and remind ourselves these years are fleeting.
I was taking photos around our home today and as I lifted my camera to get this particular shot, my husband said, "Wait, do you want me to move that ball out of the way?" I smiled and told him no. The shot is even more beautiful with that silly, partially deflated ball in it. He smiled too and together, we learn to cherish these small evidences of their childhood that will quickly fade.

2 comments:

Camille said...

This post and the precious one nearly bring me to tears. You capture the thoughts of a Mother of growing children so beautifully...I enjoy visiting here.

Blessings,
Camille

Annie said...

oh nellie, my heart is smiling for so many reasons....you are a blessing.
xoxo