Monday, November 9, 2009

Beauty in the Broken

Looking forward to the "Beauty Challenge" put forth by Ann Voskamp at A Holy Experience, I gathered bits of His creation to display in empty vessels. I treasure the vessels as they are each a gift or an heirloom. I prepared my ladder to hold the gifts not bought, but found and I carefully chose icons of autumn.
Without my knowledge, little hands, with enthusiasm to help, watered and rearranged. I encountered a puddly mess and detached pieces of china by chubby fingers, that didn't expect their own strength. Searching for gentle words when my thoughts were not so gentle, God lovingly chided, "There's beauty in the broken". My mind immediately delivered the message to my mouth and I soothed without anger.

Hours later, as He often does, the Lord washed His ways over me and I began to recall how dashed and broken pieces in my life had woven a more beautiful spirit in me. Would I be where I am today without the brokenness? I shudder at the thought. And so, this Monday of counting blessings, I add pain to my list, for it is only in the experience of anguish, that we can fully know His comfort, His healing, and His beauty in it all.
Lord, fill me, an empty vessel, however You desire, to make me more beautiful to You.

holy experience

3 comments:

Camille said...

Heather ~ This is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your heart and your thoughts...God is so good and He DOES use the broken! How wonderful!!

Blessings,
Camille

cristie said...

When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something's suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.
~Barbara Bloom

Annie said...

Nellie
This is a beautiful blog
Thank you
xoxo