Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Lesson in Fractions

One of the benefits of homeschooling is the use of everyday situations for immediate application to schoolwork. Thus, baking muffins became a lesson in fractions. Little did I realize that as I left my daughter to carefully write down the ingredients to Camille's muffins, she would assume that 1 3/4 cups flour meant #1--3/4 cup flour. Needless to say, after attempting to remedy the situation, this is the concoction she ended up with. Not necessarily the look and taste we were aiming for but after her siblings picked out the chocolate chips to eat, we were sufficiently satisfied. In this family, chocolate chips equal at least 1/4 of anything baked anyway :)

2 comments:

Camille said...

Oh...sorry about the confusion!! What a great post...you bring a smile to my face Heather!! THANKS for that!! :)

They look similar to another batch of muffins I made just the other day and remembered when they were half baked that I forgot the Baking Powder...OOOPS! One of my children suggested that i add it in...so...i removed said muffins from the oven and scraped them off the paper liners they were in. I added the Baking powder and baked for the rest of the baking time. Funny...they were not completely ruined...edible at least. We all have those moments...and yes...very often they are the teachable ones. :)

Have a terrific day!
Love,
Camille

Unknown said...

So often these life lessons need to be taught at home. School is very much about theory it seems.And we've had some nasty outcomes. A muffin fiasco occurred when my daughter used olive oil instead of veg oil, since she'd only ever seen me use the former.
And you're a good mom for doing this!