Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Keeping Company With Jesus - The Comfort of His Word

She writhes in frustration, her body contorting, her face in anguish. She squeals out her four year-old noises of feeling misunderstood. We, the misunderstanding ones, gaze dumbfounded upon this little person so tormented. My mind quickly searches for the answer, some meaningful and wise way to deal with her pain. She cries and her words, (barely deciphered by us, the confused ones), seem to point to feeling unloved and unheard.


She runs upstairs and I let her because I am lacking a solution. It was "out of the blue" and I feel that we are, this time, guilty as charged. Moments later, I humbly seek my little lost lamb. I find her staring out the window, trembling arms clinging to our kitten. She's found some solitude and some comfort. Still sniffling and a tear glistening in the window light, she turns to me. I bend down and wrap my arms around the heart-broken girl and her soft, purring companion. This little animal, unaware of fault, simply offers her affection and soothes the hurt with her unconditional love. Her purring, a remedy for the one who cannot seem to make others pay attention.
Another morning, I groan as my first thoughts of wakefulness take me to places I don't want to dwell on. Sweet dreams allow escape for only a short time and then the reality of the pain of circumstances beyond my control surface. I shake the thoughts away, searching for answers in my own file of solutions. That's when memorizing His word takes its place where He promised, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:31, 32). My thoughts go running to Him, the only One who can make it right, settle the misunderstandings. But He, knowing where the fault lies, offers comfort regardless and extends grace beyond what my heart can comprehend.
I rise, thankful for the Word that keeps me even-keeled and able to face the world without fear of tomorrow. What if I didn't hide His words in my heart so that they could surface right when I need them? I shudder to think. He's there, ready to be my company, my light. He's as close as the mention of His name and as close as breathing His soothing, healing words.
holy experience

5 comments:

aimee said...

Beautiful post... thank you for the reminder of the only healing balm for deep woundings - the only answer for impossible questions.
His Words, The Word of Life.

peace and grace to you,
aimee

Lisa notes... said...

I, too, am so thankful for memorized Words. My mind can wander a million different directions, but the Word can settle me back into focus. Thank you for sharing your story.

Sarah said...

As close as breathing His soothing, healing words. His breath on me, sweet presence dripped in grace.

A delight to be wrapped in His love with you today,
Sarah Dawn

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

What a great post. How sweet are His Words.

Pure Perseverance said...

So priceless are these little lessons in life. Just to listen to Him call me and understand that word "abide" is absolutely comforting and inviting to me.
Beautiful post.