Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day Seven: Memorize God's Word

It's on the tip of my tongue and I can't change that (nor do I want to). I learned all the Books of the Bible when I was five years old and I've been privileged to learn much Scripture as I grew up. I don't want my children to miss out on this. It'll be their comfort when their hearts are aching and their joy when searching for answers to difficult questions in life. As much as it's on the tip of my tongue, I long to know more of it but often forget that in order to keep God's Word in my heart, I've got to put it there in the first place! Memorizing more Scripture with my children is a resolution worth keeping.
Once, a friend sincerely asked me why Christians put Bible verses all over their homes and birthday cards and everywhere. She thought it was a little "overdone". I explained that when you know something is the Truth from the bottom of your heart, when you've experienced love, protection, miracles, hope, and the Creator of the universe speaking to you, you don't take that lightly. You want to paste His words wherever you can see them. You want to share them with others and more importantly, with your children. I couldn't imagine watching my kids go through tough times and not reminding them who they are in Christ and how His love will see them through. It's not cliché, it's real and they've also known what God can do in their own little lives. When you teach them to pray Scripture and keep track of prayers and their answers, just watch what the Lord will do to demonstrate His power and love to them!
My own quiet time directly affects my children as I mentioned in my post a few days ago. Therefore, the Scriptures that are meaningful to me end up being ones the kids will learn. They pick their own to memorize too, but generally, I choose them. Each year I ask the Lord to give me a Scripture that will be my theme for the year. Since He's the One who sees my beginning from my end and knows what a new year will hold, I don't want to be following the culture on figuring out my own word or theme. Not that there's anything wrong with this and it is often a great reminder and inspiration to people who utilize the "Word of the Year". However, I desire to hear it directly from God, as He will direct my path when I acknowledge Him in all my ways (Proverbs 3:5,6).  He has never failed me yet when I've asked and my guess is, He loves it when I seek Him on this :) 
Late in December, I began to think about my new theme. Last year's was about self-control (Proverbs 25:16) and God isn't finished with me yet in this area. In my quiet time, I asked Him if He could just blast me with a good dose of self-control once and for all. I immediately felt in my spirit (which is one way He talks to me), "Worship Me and these things will be added to you". I realized in that moment I had gotten away from my personal, on-my-face-worship, which generally changed my prayers, my worries, and anything I had planned on "blabbing" to Him. Yes, worshipping Him was exactly what I needed and He knew it. Psalm 100 was the very next Scripture I read and I felt right away that it was a perfect one to emphasize this to me. So, this is our first Scripture memory of 2014. Would you like to join us in learning this very short Psalm? 

 

No comments: