Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Six Stories: Number Six

The Story of My Dreams
 
When I was a little girl, I used to play teacher. I'd gather my sisters and everything I could find that resembled desk papers, books and classroom materials. I'd make your aunties sit and listen to me explain the lesson in a kind and sweet voice, then I'd hit them heavy with the mean teacher voice. It was fun (I'm sure more for me than for them). I dreamed of being a teacher and even though I didn't know how one would go about becoming one, I just felt that might be something that would suit me.
There were other dreams that came but quickly faded, like when I'd climb onto the city bus and watch the driver turn the very large steering wheel with that black knob. I'd imagine myself driving through the whole city picking people up and pushing the button to empty their coins into the machine. Or when I'd watch the garbage man toss the contents of our big cans into his magic truck and pull the lever and make all the stinky, dirty trash disappear. Or when we'd go to Swiss Chalet for dinner and the waitresses would hold that circular tray above their heads filled with plates of food. They were talented indeed and I longed to be one of them. Sometimes, I'd even wish I could pump gas all day and just breathe in the delicious aroma of the gasoline (yes, really). But usually, at the end of the day, I just wanted to be a teacher.
My dream came true mostly because it was time to go to university and I had to pick something to study. As I perused the syllabus, nothing else truly appealed to me. I hadn't thought much about teaching my sisters in those days but I figured it might work and I could always change my mind. Well, I finished with a Bachelor of Arts degree and a Bachelor of Christian Education, which meant I was a teacher. I got a job teaching grade three and then kindergarten after that. I taught for four years before I became pregnant with Meghan. As you were all being born, I continued teaching Women's Groups, photography classes, quilting, scrapbooking, Bible studies, etc. I decided I wanted to be home when you were young because I could go back to the classroom when you were all older. As time went on, Daddy and I were led by God to homeschool you. And so, I continued teaching to the greatest little people on earth.
 
My children, I'm living the dream.

 
 

No comments: