Saturday, September 11, 2010

Worshiping Through Dance (and... My Eleven Year-Old Teacher)

She wrote a letter inviting little girls between the ages of six and nine to join her six week dance class. She stated that it would be a dance of worship and praise to God and that the music would reflect that. The response was a resounding yes and she was elated! Meghan set about ordering these sweet t-shirts for the girls, choreographing the song and preparing herself for that first Saturday. Her students arrived, eager to learn and quite excitable :)

Meghan began with prayer and handed out the shirts. She told the girls the name of her group is "Sparkle On The Inside And Out Dance Group".

They did some warm ups and then she began to teach them the ballet/lyrical moves to the song.

In starting position. Three more girls come next week and these ones will teach them what they know. After that, Meghan will get pickier about their positioning and movements.

Waving back and forth, following their teacher.

A proud girl smiles at how beautifully it all came together. One little girl said to her mom at the end, "Meghan's not a good teacher... she's a very, very good teacher!" :)

The song the girls are dancing to is here...
http://www.purenrgonline.com/
(click on song #6 When I Call On Jesus)


And Meghan's favourite verse is:
1 Timothy 4:12 Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

8 comments:

Craig and Bethany said...

This post is 'bout the best thing all day. There is nothing more striking than to see God's spirit move in our children beyond our hoping and prodding. I'm soaring just reading about it. Wish my Janie could join you, Meghan!

sydney ellen said...

Wow! Good for you, Meghan!

Anna said...

She is truly a godly example to others. May her work be blessed and may she be an inspiration to others! Way to go, Meghan!
Anna

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

My heart was just bursting with song and dance as I read this. It never ceases to amaze me as I witness young hearts captured by Jesus! What a beautiful witness and example she is to those girls younger than her!!! She could inspire them to do nothing better than to worship God wholely and completely with our bodies.

It brought back memories of times when I was young and would choreograph worship or Carmen songs and perform them for an audience of One. (Of course, now that I'm a mom, I'm sure my mom was in the next room taking a peak...)

Thanks for letting us take a peak too!

Kathy Schwanke said...

This looks just thrilling! I enjoyed browsing your blog again. Heartwarming and inspiring. ...and I love the name "Oliver"!!

Blessings on your new homeschool year!
Kathy

The Carmodys said...

Hey, those are cute kids! :) Thank you so much Meghan for putting this group together and for inviting Victoria. She had such a good time and she's already looking forward to next Saturday. And thanks Heather for opening your home to the girls.

k

P.S. It was Victoria that said you're a very, very good teacher and I believe her!

Emma said...

Dearest Meghan ,
Thank you for sharing this lovely news with me ...I was in tears when I was looking at the pictures..
I pray that God will use you to glorify his name through your talent
and the elegant ballet movements.
Keep it up sweetie :)
Emma.

Tightwad In Training said...

I am sure you are proud of Meghan! :)

When I traveled to Kenya, we did interpretive dances and it was amazingly fun how one can communicate the love of Christ through movement... without speaking the native language.