Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rosy Cheeks and A Sore Hand--A Teacher's Dream

Today is officially the first day of school for some, but we began last week because my children begged to begin. That thrilled my heart! I must be doing something right, I thought. Well, it's a good thing humility is a godly quality because today was a little bit of a nightmare. There were tears... oh, the tears! I almost cried a few myself but because we're working on the fruits of the Spirit, I tried to exercise self-control :) We'll get it together, we always do... with God's help... but it will take some getting back into the routine, I do believe. Nevertheless, we enjoyed some precious moments last week.

drawing self-portraits

matching colour words

ordering numbers
(which, Oliver says, must be punched every time you place one down :)


But my favourite moment had to be watching Molly write her story. When she was ready to read her epic novel to me, her cheeks were warm and rosy from feverishly scrawling all those imaginative thoughts onto paper. She complained, with a big smile, that her hand hurt from writing--a teacher's dream... sigh.

reading her rough draft to me

making changes

typing up a good copy

May God bless your school year and grant you many wonderful and successful ideas, favour with your children and patience.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Wow Heather, your work inspires me! Keep up the great job! God bless!

Wanting What I Have said...

Thank you for being transparent. You encourage me. I am right there with you! This post hit home for me. Thank you!

sydney ellen said...

Punching a number every time you put one down - LOL funny!!! :D Sounds like your having a great school year so far! (except for tears and math....;-)

Holly Leis said...

Oh Heather I lOVE this post. I love the honesty at the beginning about the tears (makes me feel like we have a normal household when we're in the throes of leaking orbits ourselves) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the first writings and first activities of the school year, the new pencils and freshly cracked open books. Hold please, I feel a rush of nostalgia running over...

Craig and Bethany said...

I totally agree, you have to punch each number when you put it down. :)

I'm LOVING catching up on your blog! Wish I could buzz over and have a tall glass of lemonade with you.

And doesn't the beginning of school sometimes remind you of the opening of Dickens' Tale of Two Cities? The best of times and the worst of times. :)

Hooray for another year!

Oh, and LOVE the self-portrait idea.

Camille said...

Dear Heather ~

Ah yes, the tears and the need for the LORD each step of the way! May we never think we can "go it alone"...because that is most definitely NOT true! Sweet moments...thanks for sharing.

I *love* the Oliver stories...he is ALL boy...SO FUN! :)

With Love,
Camille