Friday, January 29, 2010

Goodbye Grampie

Ten months after releasing balloons to the sky to say goodbye to Mama, we sent up another bunch for our dear Grampie (her husband). My niece had made sure these balloons were colourful since we had each held a white one in 2009. She thought it would make things more cheery.
The service was lovely and we each laid a rose on the casket at the cemetery but when young and old let go of those beautiful, helium-filled mementos, I was filled with an overwhelming sense of peace. To hear the many voices say, "Goodbye, Grampie!" and "Goodbye, Dad!" as the balloons sailed "heavenward", was a powerful experience.
This small gesture seemed to unite us and aid us in our grieving. And so, as I stood with my family and friends and symbolically waved goodbye to a wonderful man, I was so thankful I could whisper, "See you soon."

(Certainly not the greenest thing to do but how often do we lose our grandparents? :)

1 comment:

sydney ellen said...

What a nice way to remember loved ones!