Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Funny Pages

I position myself over the nursing home bedrail and rub his long, thin arm.

"Would you like some water, Grampie?" I hold the glass with the straw toward him.
"Is it wet?" he replies. A wide grin spreads across his weathered, stubbly face. I touch the straw to his lips, so he'll know the drink is there.
"Oh, Grampie, you're so funny!"
He doesn't hesitate, "I know! I'll meet you in the funny pages!" That reply takes me back to childhood and I laugh. He has always called the Saturday newspaper comics, "funnies or funny pages".
That was our last conversation.
Today, my dear, sweet, loving Grampie, went to be with Jesus. His once robust and more than six foot body, now frail and bony, has completed its life here. His spirit, the one with the humour, the wit, the desire to talk about all the people whom he and Billy Graham have helped to get saved, has moved on to a place that's beyond our imaginations. I am trapped in time and barely can comprehend the breadth of it all but I'm overwhelmed with the thought that he will have new eyes that see and a new body. He'll join his wife whom he lost less than one year ago, as well as, other family and friends. Most of all, he'll actually behold the One who gave him life in the first place.
Grampie, you were like a father to me and I'm thrilled for you but saddened for me. But, I'm coming, Grampie! I'm right behind you. Throw your arms around Mama for me and tell her I miss her. Give her the special "hiding place kiss" and tell her she can't wash it off. I'll meet you both soon... not in the funny pages, but definitely where there's much laughter--just your style.

7 comments:

sydney ellen said...

Sniff! That's so beautiful!

Camille said...

How blessed you are to know where he is! Isn't God good to give us these wonderful memories to hold our loved ones in? May the Lord give you the strength and grace to go forward without your beloved Grampie ~ and build the same kind of legacy to leave behind.

With Love,
Camille

Annie said...

Heath,
My eyes blurr from my tears....with loss for you, the ache that you feel, the void in your family, your heart.
Grampie was a precious unique soul whose smile lit up your heart. I will miss him and the stories that came from your visits with him.
I picture Jesus carrying Grampie...just as Terry carried him at Christmas...across the threshold of heaven. Grampie is home Nellie...he's home.
I love you
xoxo

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

What a legacy your grampie leaves behind and how precious and amazing that you will get to see him again!

~Heather

(p.s. the blocks were from www.sensationalbeginnings.com)

your oldest, Meghan said...

Oh, Mommy! You make me cry!

I can just picture it...every morning getting up and dancin' with Great Mama to their favorite tune :) Ahh...staying up all night long dancing in Jesus' light with a chunk of the road shaped into a disco ball.(Roads are gold the Bible says!)

I am so excited to get there too.
Love you!
God Bless.
Meghan

The Carmodys said...

Oh Heather - so sorry for your loss.

(((hugs)))

k

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute.
That photo is so incredible. There is true love there, comfortable, honouring. Wow.
You are truly blessed.

may your heart heal from this loss