Friday, January 15, 2010

I Washed My Heart

She was still dripping from her bath when my newly-five-year-old told me, "Mommy, I washed my heart so I can learn more better." She rubbed the towel over her arms and tummy.
I gazed at my dark-haired beauty and remembered a Bible time we had a few days ago when we talked about Jesus making us clean. I tucked a wet strand of hair behind her ear. "What do you need to learn, Emily?"
"Listening," she replied.
I smiled at this sensitive little soul with so much potential gleaming in her eyes.
"Oh, Jesus does that for us, doesn't He? I'm sure He's so proud of you for wanting to be a good listener." I helped her finish dressing and took her over to the window to photograph her. I love to remember my children's simple, yet profound words with a little journaling and a picture. And so, she grinned and cooperated nicely and showed off her beautiful, clean heart.

5 comments:

sydney ellen said...

Wow! It just shows us that even little children can have faith. That's so cute!

Camille said...

Beautiful! God is so Gracious to occasionally give us a glimpse into the hearts of our children ~ isn't He? So precious when it's TRUTH that comes out!

sgm said...

she is a beauty and I know that encourage her inner beauty as well! What a gift you have in little Em!!
s

Mouse and Magoo said...

That's aorably cute! :) I love her!!! Happy birthday Em, Emmers, Emmerson, Em K, Em V, Em KV, Princess, and Emily.

:) big sister Meghan

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

That was beautiful. I'm always in awe when God speaks to little children. Their response is so inspiring, making it clear why God told us to approach him like little children!