Monday, May 4, 2009

Bird Watchers

Nature walks are becoming our favourite part of homeschooling. My children love to take photos, use the binoculars, search for interesting specimens, and count how many holes they find in trees that could possibly be animal homes. My favourite part is observing their curiosity, as well as, satisfying my own! Today, our goal was to find different species of birds.

We usually see chickadees hopping back and forth, like ping-pong balls, to the "bird seed stump" that hikers have created, but we wanted a new experience today. Sometimes we would all stop and listen quietly to hear interesting bird sounds but the tiny creatures never came into view. So, while we blazed the trail, we all kept our ears open, with the exception of Oliver, who would holler every time he saw a fascinating bug.




On the way back to the van, we heard the most cheerful squeak-toy sound and knew right away it was finches. Surveying the branches, we located two beautiful yellow ones. Soon after, I had the privilege of witnessing a woodpecker with the binoculars (although I'm unsure of the genus--we'll have to look it up!). What a joy to actually be able to capture these elusive little creatures through a lens! God has designed an incredible miracle in them. When I think about how much he cares for their needs, and that His Word says He cares more for me and my family, I am humbled.

"Indeed, the very hairs on your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." (Luke 12:7)

"Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?" (Matthew 6:26,27)

No comments: