Tuesday, May 26, 2009

We Build

Song by Nichole Nordeman

It's bigger than we thought
It's taller than it ought to be
This pile of rubble and ruins
The neighbors must talk
It's the worst yard on the block
Just branches and boards where walls stood
Did it seem to you
Like the storm just knew
We weren't quite finished with the roof
When it started?

So we build
We build
We clear away what was and make room for what will be
If you hold the nails, I'll take the hammer
I'll hold it still, if you'll climb the ladder
If you will, then I will, build

On any given day
We could simply walk away
And let someone else hold the pieces
The lie that we tell
Says it's better somewhere else
As if love flies south when it freezes

What I'm trying to say
In some clumsy way
Is that it's you and only you for always
What I'm trying to say
In some clumsy way
Is that it's you and only you, not just for now, not just today
But it's you and only you for always

No comments: