Saturday, May 9, 2009

Calling Her Blessed

"Her children rise up and call her blessed..." (Proverbs 31:28)

I was out running errands with my mom yesterday. We were taking my Grandpa to the bank and to the factory where he worked for thirty years to sign papers, and then back to the nursing home. It was tiring with all the kids but we would do anything to serve this man who has served us so faithfully.
Being power of attorney, my mother has been run off her feet doing this full-time job of meetings with lawyers, realtors and bank tellers since my Grandma passed away. I watched as she, who suffers from insomnia and fibromyalgia, cheerfully, and sweetly explain each step to my confused, ninety-one year-old Grandpa. I marveled at her patience. I felt her love for him and he did too. This love is what he had given her as a girl and it was her turn to reciprocate.
I realized that one day, my turn will also come. Will I be able to provide the same kind of love and care for her? For this woman, who has given me everything since I was born of her body? This woman who would still sacrifice all that she has for one of her children or grandchildren? As a mother of four myself now, I can finally, truly appreciate who she is and who I am because of her. Yes, I will do my best to give my all in return for that love I have known. Thank you, Mom.

No comments: