Saturday, May 2, 2009

That means I'm little...

We have a favourite book in our home called, "Big Or Little?" by Kathy Stinson. It has been one of those coming into their own preschool treasures for each of my children, in turn. They empathize with the boy character because he relates things he can and cannot do to how big or little he is. A couple of the lines go like this:
"When my aunt buys me Bunny pyjamas, that means I'm little. But when the Bunny pyjamas don't come in my size, that means I'm big."
We had one of these moments the other day with my youngest daughter. My mom and I were driving home with the kids from a long day at Meg's ballet competition. My mom passed back a box of timbits to them. Molly chose hers and Emily sat with the box in her lap and didn't take one. This frustrated Molly, who could not understand why someone wouldn't want a timbit. She urged her to make her choice. Emily just stared. A few minutes later, my mom nudged me to look in the rear-view mirror.

My beautiful four year-old girl, when you sit so patiently and watch the dancers and whisper to me how you would like to be a ballerina too, that means you're big. When you fall asleep on the way home and do a face-plant in the timbit box, that means you're little.

1 comment:

Holly said...

OH I LOVE this one! I'm so glad you were able to catch it with a photo.