Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stunt Drivers and Baby Birds




Okay, I'll admit, I'm a little overprotective as a mother. When my nephew tells me that he and my daughter will be bouncing down the stone steps on their bikes, I make a little gasping sound. You see, I had three daughters before my son came along and since my boy is only two, I don't often deal with these sorts of situations. Meghan is ready with her argument about how it's safe and that I shouldn't worry (plus, a little mutter under her breath that she's not sure if she should do it!). But Meg will never back down from a challenge and so she steadies her bike.
There's something about a boy who looks you in the eye and assures you that he's done this before and that his mom doesn't hesitate the way I do. So, I step inside and snatch my camera to cement the memory for all of us. I hold my breath and then suddenly leak out, "Be careful! Hold onto your breaks!" and proceed to snap the moment when my girl strikes one more notch on her "growing up" belt.
You may laugh at how simple, really, it all was. Once it was said and done, I realized that I panicked for nothing. But isn't that my job? Perhaps, but I'm learning to let my baby bird spread her wings a little. I don't want to push her from the nest but she's begging to be pushed. She's so eager to fly. And so, I step forward and gently place my wing around her back and she smiles at me. Reluctantly, I apply a little pressure and with bated breath, I watch her soar.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Precious title!!
let Auntie Annie panic for a minute...the next time you push your (read my) baby bird to soar, put a helmet on the chick!!!!
xoxo