Saturday, May 2, 2009

Doing it again and loving it...

How many times can I go through this process of the styrofoam cups and bean seeds? As many times as I have children! A long time ago, I had about twenty-five children at once. I taught kindergarten four times over and each year I, with renewed vigor, began to show them how to plant the tiny blackish-brown seeds.
Now, as I demonstrate to my fourth biological child how to tunnel a little bed in the soil with his chubby finger, I smile. He doesn't fully understand either, what is about to transpire. I had explained as best I could to each kindergarten child (and to my three oldest) that their patience would yield an amazing gift but they still couldn't really grasp something beautiful coming from something seemingly lifeless and small.

How disappointing were those first few days when nothing happened. The children desired that gift I promised right away! Some even doubted whether or not that promise was real. "Be patient," I told them, "God makes all things beautiful in His time." And so they waited. And now my son waits.
Aren't we like that too when we are waiting for an answer to our prayers? God promised that all things work together for our good but do we doubt that when "good" doesn't seem to come how and when we want it? Oh, how we panic and worry when we are in the midst of the storms of life. "Lord, are you listening?", we pray. "Do you even see Your child suffering here?". What I've learned is that sometimes He calms the storm and other times He calms His child.

As the first sprouts began to wake from their slumber, the children squealed with joy. They could see the promise! Now, they would trust that the rest of the plant would grow and spread upward.
Lord, help me to trust You while the promise is still unseen. Help me to remember that I've known that vine's growth before and it will come again.


Praise You in This Storm

words by Mark Hall/music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms

I was sure by now, God, that You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away, stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say amen and it's still raining
And as the thunder rolls I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls I raise my hands and praise the God
Who gives and takes away

Chorus:

And I'll praise you in this storm and I will lift my hands
For You are who You are no matter where I am
And every tear I've cried You hold in your hand
You never left my side and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when I stumbled in the wind You heard my cry to You
And raised me up again
My strength is almost gone how can I carry on if I can't find You
And as the thunder rolls I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls I raise my hands and praise
The God who gives and takes away

Chorus

I lift my eyes unto the hills where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes onto the hills where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth

Chorus

No comments: