Monday, May 31, 2010

Blessing Day

The staff smile as soon as they see my children coming. They know that they usually have a special blessing to brighten their day. My husband looks down through his office window and catches a glimpse of his kids and is proud that they're caring for the people who work so diligently for him. He jumps up from his desk and finds us meandering through the aisles of perennials or shrubs, seeking hungry workers.
Every week (or a couple of times a week, depending on the heat), we take special treats down to the staff at our nursery. On very hot and busy days like today, we fill little paper cups with lemonade to give them some relief. We bake cookies, bring licorice or timbits. We've done this for a few years now and we tell the staff that it's Blessing Day--a day to bless them and to let them know we appreciate them.

So, as we bless others, I am thankful for my blessings from the One who inspires it all... (360)
361. for the ability to bless others with joy in their day
362. for my new licorice tea I found (yummy)
363. for the energy to plant almost all my annuals today!
364. for the ability walk down to the nursery and bring home whatever plants I need
365. for sweat and hard work
366. for Grandma sleep-overs
367. for yard-sale-ing sisters and mom (and bro-in-law)
368. for an emailing aunt and uncle who keep me in the loop with so many things
369. for a tree-planting, pencil-pushing, people-interactive husband
370. for precious bloggers who inspire my life, encourage my writing and bring tears to my eyes over and over with their beautiful stories
"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy." Philippians 1:3


holy experience

8 comments:

Annesta said...

Heather,
What you are teaching your children is incredible! You are teaching your children the true meaning of giving their lives away.
Your blessing day has blessed me so much. Your children are so blessed to have you as their mom.
grace and peace to you
~a

Unknown said...

I love this. Thank your for sharing a slice of your life. It's so sweet to see little helping hands.
I still can't get over that you are a nursery person. LUCKY!
:)

Camille said...

How wonderful Heather! How lovely that the kids join in...I am sure it is a highlight to the workers to have you all come and bless them. :)

YUMMY...I *love* licorice tea...what type did you find?? The only one we have had is "medicinal"...would love to find one that isn't. :)

Enjoyed your list today...so thankful we are friends.

Love,
Camille

livinginbetween said...

What a beautiful thing for you to teach your kids: the joy in blessing others! I love it! And being able to bless is definitely something to be thankful for.

jeana said...

I just love that you are teaching your kiddos to bless others in this way. We could all look around and find a way to bless others around us. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tightwad In Training said...

What a great way to teach your children about giving!!! Thank you for sharing with us!!!

Mouse and Magoo said...

I've always enjoyed this thoroughly.
Great post.

Craig and Bethany said...

A Blessing Day! What a splendid idea. I think blessing days may have to come from our house too!

And licorice tea is one of my most favorites. :)