Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Son's Perspective


I asked my husband what he remembered about growing up with his mother. Because we met when we were 16, much of what he said was familiar to me and I am grateful for that.
Terry paused and was taken back to his childhood with my question and a smile spread across his face. "My mom used to come down to my room in the morning and wake me up by pulling on my toes and teasing me;" he recounted fondly, "she was playful like that." He stared at me for a moment and then the memories flooded in. He spoke of the consistency and predictability that gave him such a sense of stability. For example, he could count on hot dogs and a banana for lunch every Saturday, spaghetti in the evening and soup on Sunday. He recalled the wonderful feeling he had when it was cleaning day and he would enter the house after school or work and it smelled so fresh.
"I think that's what influenced me the most about my mom--that she was a hard worker." He explained how that quality created a well-cared for and comfortable life experience. "She gave me everything I needed but didn't spoil me. I had a good childhood."
In a way, I grew up with my husband's mom too. As an impressionable teenager, I soaked up every bit of the environment I was frequently exposed to as we dated. Her home was a clean, cozy place where you wanted to melt into the furniture. Over the years, I grew to understand a little about how she created this warmth and how she had a strong desire to provide for her family in every way she could. Being her daughter-in-law for nearly 16 years now, I am blessed to have been influenced by such an amazing Proverbs 31 woman.

No comments: