Sunday, May 2, 2010

When The Sign Says, "Closed"

"Closed Sundays" is what our sign reads to eager passers-by. I believe it's why God has blessed our company. They can't get in here on this special day, but we can. It's when we really get to enjoy the colour and the fragrance and the quiet. My husband checks the temperature of the greenhouse, the children run and skip and find frogs, I meander slowly with camera in hand. Everywhere, there is evidence of spring preparation but the true, over-flowing beauty of a packed nursery is yet to come. In the next week, this place will bloom into a picture-perfect garden--magazine worthy--a destination. Oh, the blessings!

Gratitude # 311-320

  • "closed" days at the nursery
  • "open" days at the nursery
  • friends around the altar on Sunday-hungering for more of God
  • fresh Monday morning schedules (like September, I begin again)
  • a daughter who sees her potential at her Daddy's work
  • the little party Molly put together for us this morning (complete with games, dresses, goodie bags and music)
  • tadpoles and frogs
  • faith in God's healing for the heads of my friends (aneurysms, migraines, depression, tumors)
  • Hotwheels cars
  • driving around looking at the beautiful landscapes of other homes
    "But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head." (Psalm 3:3)

holy experience

11 comments:

Dianna said...

What a precious list. Thank you so much for sharing. The flowers are gorgeous! Love the picture of your daughter and her dad.

Camille said...

Sooooo beautiful! Your flowers are wonderful! God's creation is GLORIOUS, isn't it? Mondays...and fresh starts ~ how blessed we are!

Have a lovely week my friend!
Love,
Camille

Stephani Cochran said...

So enjoyed your list and the photos of your nursery! Blessings!

Unknown said...

I think it's incredible that you are closed on Sundays.
It seemed the garden centre where I worked assumed this to be one of their busier days, or at least the one with the most potential.

Taking my turn to work them, especially when they fell on Mother's Day , or Easter, never seemed right.

(and I spied the signage... I have been so curious. I used to work for Terra .btw. }

love your list, and breathtaking photos as always.

Unknown said...

I just went to the local nursery today. It's my happy place, how fun that you can go there whenever you want! AHH! SO COOL!
Today we bought some ladybugs, because aphids are invading my rosebushes. I LOVE this list and I SUPER LOVE your pictures.

Craig and Bethany said...

Oh YES!! My husband is the son of a farmer. We LOVE plants. I could just melt right into your nursery pictures. The fabric of your family blesses me. Thanks for sharing.

And I completely agree about the Sunday thing.

Unknown said...

I pop over here , I don't always comment. I've pretty much given up trying to post at Green Acres, and just stick to Talk at the Table.

and yeah, Terra Burlington. No comment. :)
I think this is the closest to almost IRL blogger connection I've made.

Anna said...

Gotta love that day of rest (especially in the spring season)!
anna

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

Oh what glorious memories your children will have as they grow up! I have the most wonderful memories of the special privileges that I had growing up!

Pure Perseverance said...

Amen!

sydney ellen said...

I love Sundays!

This reminds me of a story about my dad and working on Sundays.

Sometimes, if Daddy had a busy schedule and he couldn't get everything done during the week, he would go to his shop early in the morning on Sundays and work until it was time to go to church. One time, on a Sunday morning on his way to work, Daddy was listening to Christian radio. The speaker was speaking on the Sabbath! He said it was a sin to work on Sundays. As soon as Dad heard that, he literally turned around and went home.
Just one of the many works God has done in our family.

Sorry for the very, VERY long comment!
Love the picture of Meghan with her dad.

Blessings,
Sydney