Thursday, May 6, 2010

Out Of The Mouths...

My children have always been interested in the service people who come to fix or install things in our home. Be it a new carpet installation, to fix a broken vacuum canister or, like today, to put in a couple of new windows, the kids must watch (and commentate). A fifty-ish "window man", with a Scottish accent, pulled out the old glass while Oliver sat mesmerized and the girls waltzed in and out of the area. Soon my boy began his monologue, "I'm Oliver. I'm three and I'm going to be one and then two. (?) What are you doing? Can I see your tools?" Oliver positioned himself behind the man for a better look. He crouched and rose and leaned in for a closer view. Like many servicemen (not trying to stereotype but...) who've been here, this one also had forgotten that belts are meant to hold up your pants, (if you catch my drift). Suddenly, Oliver very disapprovingly blurted out, "Hey! I can see your ______! " (insert "bathroom word" here).

The man chuckled, yanked up his jeans and apologized. Of course, I was mortified as I listened just metres away. I pulled my very forthright boy aside and told him "be careful little mouth what you say".

He replied, "But, Mommy, that's BAD!" What could I say? He felt he was defending our modesty rule. He asked if he could still watch and I said yes, if he sat on the chair and stayed out of the man's way.

It didn't take long for Oliver to make up for lost time, "Jesus died on the cross but He's alive again!" came his next bold statement. The very amused man smiled and nodded with courtesy.
Thankfully, being our fourth child, we as parents now understand that as our children grow, these moments are looked back on fondly :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Preach it buddy!
So cute. Kids are awesome.

Meghan said...

Ha,ha!
That's was hilarious.

The other man looked and sounded like Grampie! It was kind of wierd!

Have a great Mother's Day weekend!
Meghan